Saturday, December 13, 2014

What They Never Tell You About Side Angle Pose

Have you ever thought about the intent of side angle pose (parsvakonasana)? Are you ready to hear a fresh perspective that will take your awareness to the next level?

In my opinion, side angle pose is the best of two worlds: the hip opening, leg strengthening element of warrior two combined with the side strengthening and side lengthening benefit of triangle pose.

But here's the thing, most people miss these wonderful benefits because their focus is to get their hand to the floor... at all costs. The result? A weird sort of front bend that's hard to breathe in. But before I say anymore, check out this clip...

                    Yoga expert and author, Brian Friedman demonstrates a progression for side angle pose.


I choose the modified version for my system of yoga (Functional Yoga Instruction), personal clients, as well as my led classes because I feel you get the most return for your investment. In other words, you get just as much (if not more) from the most fundamental version than if you decide to progress into the deeper options.

As a smart yoga practitioner, you can see the value of embracing the fundamentals and taking the time to truly develop a deep inner awareness of what is going on during your practice. 

Want more? Check out what these fine folks have to say about their yoga experience with FYI:

Highly Recommended!
5/5 stars "I became interested in yoga when I learned it can help with some stiffness and a bit of arthritis I was having. As a beginner, I purchased Brian Friedman's Functional Yoga Instruction book to help me understand the poses. This book helps you learn how to do a pose correctly, comfortably and really make it count. Brian stresses perfect alignment with every move you make. His explanations and photos stay with me in my head throughout my entire day helping me to stay aligned in all my daily activities. When having correct posture and movement you feel stronger, notice less pain and have more energy. I am starting to feel the healing benefits of yoga on my body and mind. Who would have thought it could feel so good just keeping your body aligned throughout the day?

Great!
5/5 stars "Brian is a fabulous instructor. I took his workshop and learned so much, even after my 7 years of experience. His book is a mirror of his great teaching.

Don't hesitate. Get your copy now!