Sunday, February 16, 2014

The doctors said I couldn't, Winter Garden Yoga said I could

As the owner and director of Winter Garden Yoga, I am truly fortunate and absolutely blessed that I can help a wide variety of people achieve a wide variety of goals. This is Sheree's story in her own words. Her eight week journey began with a painful, immobile shoulder.She was advised to quit coming to her favorite yoga class and her daily chores were a painful experience. After working together, privately, Sheree has recovered 95% and is virtually pain free. Sheree is still working to maintain and possibly improve her results. 

Here's Sheree's story...

"Last July I returned home from vacation with a sore shoulder which I blamed on carrying around a heavy day pack loaded with water bottles, camera, etc. I decided to give my shoulder a break and skipped my yoga classes for several weeks.

"I was still feeling a lot of pain and my mobility was limited, but thought I would push through it and start back anyway, but learned very quickly that power yoga was no longer an option for me, and there were some poses I could no longer maintain in the beginner yoga class. 

"My day-to-day activities were being affected also – simple chores like hanging up my clothes or drying my hair. Feeling frustrated, I sought medical help and was diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder.

"The orthopedist explained what he was seeing, said this was common for someone over 50, recommended I quit the power yoga class, and had a physical therapist come up with a course of exercises. 

"After completing 8 weeks of the recommended [physical therapy] exercises I did notice improvement. However, my range of motion was still quite limited. That’s when Winter Garden Yoga sent out [a series of special offers] – one being an FMS package.

Sheree and Brian worked together to find a solution for Sheree's chronic shoulder pain.


"Brian and I had had a discussion earlier where I explained why arthritis couldn't be cured and no amount of exercising was going to help, and he explained why the right combination of exercises just might help

"I decided to give it a shot and start the New Year off right. I purchased the FMS package and met with Brian for our first session on Jan. 2. One week after our first session I had not noticed any change so he came up with another plan. Between our second session and last (which was today - Feb. 8) I have gained back 95% of my mobility and am thrilled.

"He worked out the right combination of exercises for me and now a short exercise program each morning is part of my normal routine. During the month of January I was out on travel twice, and these techniques became part of my routine in the hotel room also. 

"I am now able to fully participate in power yoga again, and as I was unloading the dishwasher before class this morning I realized that this was another pain-free chore that was a problem for me just one month ago. 

"Thanks Brian! You are the best!"