Saturday, February 22, 2014

Algorithm for Happiness

It's Easier Than You Think

An algorithm can be defined as a step-by-step procedure for problem solving. I would like to share a few, simple, procedures that I use to gain perspective on things whenever I need a little "pick me up."

It Could Be Worse

My great grandma Harper used to say, "Things ain't so bad, they cain't be worse." Thought provoking indeed. This one requires little or not explanation. Yes, you may have gotten into a fender bender, but it could have been worse, right? Focus on the fact that you're alive and unharmed and able to tell the story.

Miraculous Things Happen

This will be shared in the form of a story. A true story. Maria was a student of mine when I used to teach in east Orlando. At the time, Maria was 74 years young. She used to ride her bike to and from the studio and she used to practice her handstands -yes, her handstands- after class before she went home.

One day, Maria and I were talking and she shared this with me. She said, "you know, Brian, whenever I feel the blues or start to feel a little down, I stop myself and look at my finger. I say to myself, 'what a miraculous thing my finger nail is. Thank you, God, that I am a part of such a miracle.' Then I look at my cuticles and say, 'what a miraculous thing my cuticle is. Thank you, God, that I am part of such a miracle.'"

Then she said, "you know what? By the time I get to my wrist, I'm feeling much better." Pay attention to this lesson.

It's Easy As 1-2-3

I was visiting friends on their farm in the Midwest. I just loved their laid back attitude toward everything. They just seemed to be at ease with whatever came their way. I spoke with the head of the house and asked her what the secret to her family's happiness was. She said, "It's really very simple. We just ask ourselves three questions: Are we fed? Are we clothed? Do we have a roof over our heads? If the answer is, yes, yes, and yes, then we know everything is going to be all right."

How About You?

I want to encourage you to pick one of these algorithms and use it for 10 days straight. Then choose another and another and repeat. I believe that you will be surprised at how easy it is to put things in perspective and stay in the realm of awesomeness.

All the best,

Brian