Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's Not Just a Story, It's Epic, Nutrition

It's one of the most talked about and controversial subjects in all of Winter Garden Yoga. The Epic Smoothie. The VIPs of Winter Garden Yoga are among the chosen few who have experienced the Epic Smoothie... or at least... have heard about it. Now it's time to get the record straight about the origins of this WGY original.

Let's go back to Central Florida right around the turn of the 21st century. I was looking for a way to acquire a balanced, nutrition-rich, meal that was easy to make. Back then, it was called a smoothie. At the time (and even now) smoothies got a bad rap... and who can place blame? After all, most smoothies are made with junk and filled with sugar. But I was searching for something different... or so I thought.

The Early Days

You see, the first few versions of my healthy smoothie were made from dairy (because I needed calcium, protein, and vitamin D and thought it was only available via dairy), fruit (for the fiber, potassium, and vitamins), whey protein powder (because everyone was telling me that I HAD to use whey), and the list goes on.

Although the earlier versions were miles ahead of the powdered mixes being used among my peers, I knew there was plenty of room for improvement.

Enter Doug Swenson and Veganism

I know... I can hear the groans from here... veganism! Hang in there, it's worth the read.

I attended a yoga teacher training course in Lake Tahoe California under the tutelage of my friend and yoga teacher, Doug Swenson. As part of the experience, I made a vow that I would eat as closely as possible to the way Doug ate. At the time I was definitely a vegetarian and Doug was (and still is) a very strict vegan. So... Doug taught me how to substitute healthier foods for less healthy options. For example: almond milk instead of dairy milk, soy crumbles instead of burger crumbles, and so on. He also shared a few of his 'go to' recipes which included... you guessed it... smoothies.

We learned how to make 'meal replacement' smoothies and 'dessert' smoothies. All of which contained the most fundamental, healthy, and plant based ingredients. Needless to say, this changed everything and got the Epic Smoothie heading in an entirely new direction.

Back to the Drawing Board

When I came back from California, I used the basic recipe of my previous smoothies, except this time I substituted the fundamental ingredients with their vegan equivalents. Oddly enough, it tasted great and packed a powerful punch. Everybody loves the Epic Smoothie... and I mean everybody. It makes sense because it's full of nutrient dense, plant based foods with the correct balance of proteins to (favorable) carbohydrates.

What's in it, Already?

The ingredients may vary from time to time depending on availability, taste preferences, etc. Feel free to experiment. Always check with your doctor or health care provider before undertaking any new exercise or health program.

8 ounces Almond Milk
1 Banana
1 Handful almonds (or 2 TBSP almond butter, no sugar added)
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP raw, organic, cacao
1 tsp     raw, organic, macca
1 serving vegan protein powder (use the manufacturer's guidelines)
1 serving powdered greens (use he manufacturer's guidelines)
1 TBSP pure maple syrup (use the real stuff made from real trees)
1 handful spinach
1 handful ice

Blend well. Enjoy!

Battle Tested

The Epic Smoothie has been approved by chefs, omnivores, vegans, vegetarians, children, adults, you name it. You get 39 grams of protein, 77 grams of carbs, iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin C, Vitamin D, and more. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Winter Garden Yoga's VIP packages are personalized just for you. They include nutrition, yoga, community, and most importantly... accountability. If you're ready to put an end to the frustration of feeling stuck, contact us to set up a free, no obligation consultation.

PS: our friends at The Juice Bar of Winter Garden have the Epic Smoothie on their menu!